ghm-discuss

Re: [Ghm-discuss] GHM in India

From: Darshit Shah
Subject: Re: [Ghm-discuss] GHM in India
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2019 23:45:38 +0200

* John Darrington <address@hidden> [190624 14:58]:

> There are several aspects to organising GHM.
>
> 1.  You need to find an auditorium - it need not be fancy, but somewhere with
> an overhead projector and enough seats for everyone.   So this place
> whereever it is must be booked well in advance.
>
> 2.  You need to make arrangements for somewhere for people to eat and
> sleep - either make sure that everyone can get a hotel that suits them,
> or (better) if it can be in the same establishment as the auditorium,
> then it's easier for all concerned.
>
> 3.  Having made those arrangements, you will need to announce GHM in
> sufficient time in advance.  Remember people will have to book flights etc.
> Promoting the event can be one of the most time consuming aspects!
> It's also important that you keep everyone updated after they have
> registered.
>
> 4.  You will need to keep a list of everyone who has registered, to attend,
> and (if applicable) paid their money.
>
> 5.  In the past, we have offered financial assistance to people who
> cannot otherwise attend.    Applications must be considered, approved etc.
>
> 6.  You will need to organise the talks.  Who is talking about what, and
> for how long?
>
> Some of those tasks can be delegated to others.
>
> GHM 2019 is already being organised.  Personally I think a GHM in India
> would be great, but I don't know what other people think?

Thanks John for the insight into organising a GHM. I am not physically in
India, but I'd be glad to help in any way possible. Srikar, do ping me if
there is anything I can do to help.

I'm adding Sachin to this email thread. I met him at the last couple of GHMs
and he might be interested in helping.

About the second point John made, the last GHM in 2017 in Knüllwald was a major
success and I think that model could work really well in India as well. Find a
farmhouse / guesthouse a little far from the city, but one which can house all
the attendees together and have the GHM in just that one place.

--
Thanking You,
Darshit Shah