ghm-discuss

Re: [Ghm-discuss] GHM in India

From: Srikar Arepalli
Subject: Re: [Ghm-discuss] GHM in India
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2019 10:14:45 +0530

Hi All,

I'm Srikar volunteering for FSF-India as Student coordinator, also Alumni lead of VGLUG https://vnrvjietglug.wordpress.com/ . VGLUG stands for VNR GNU/Linux Users Group, aka, Swatantra Software Sangham of VNRVJIET. Being an alumni of VNRVJIET (http://vnrvjiet.ac.in/). I can request the college management to host the event. But I need some details before I initiate the discussion with them.

There are several aspects to organising GHM.

1. You need to find an auditorium - it need not be fancy, but somewhere with
an overhead projector and enough seats for everyone.   So this place
whereever it is must be booked well in advance.

We have a big auditorium capable of accommodating 500 participants, equipped with good projector and sound system. Are you aiming for more than 500 participants? Along with it we have mini seminar halls and classrooms all equipped with projectors and speakers.

2.  You need to make arrangements for somewhere for people to eat and
sleep - either make sure that everyone can get a hotel that suits them,
or (better) if it can be in the same establishment as the auditorium,
then it's easier for all concerned.

There are guest rooms for speakers inside the campus. But I need to check how many of them can be accommodated.

3.  Having made those arrangements, you will need to announce GHM in
sufficient time in advance. Remember people will have to book flights etc.
Promoting the event can be one of the most time consuming aspects!
It's also important that you keep everyone updated after they have
registered.

4. You will need to keep a list of everyone who has registered, to attend,
and (if applicable) paid their money.

Student members of VGLUG can volunteer for the event and help you.

5.  In the past, we have offered financial assistance to people who
cannot otherwise attend. Applications must be considered, approved etc.

It will help students, if not completely free, atleast giving them some discount might attract more students.

6. You will need to organise the talks. Who is talking about what, and
for how long?

VGLUG volunteers/Student volunteers can help you.

Can I know theme of talks, will they be of help to undergraduate and graduate students?