Re: [Gnash-dev] Online flashplayer testing

From: Tomas Groth
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Online flashplayer testing
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 02:59:18 +0200 (CEST)

--- Rob Savoye <address@hidden> skrev:

> Tomas Groth wrote:
>
> > Tonight we had a discussion on IRC about online testing of flashplayers
> (like
> > gnash) using our testcases, and we more or less came up with a structure on
> how
> > this should work. The idea is simple: We create a testpage which
> automaticly
> > loads the testcases, and report any errors to a database.
>
>   We have a server for a developer's site, I can give you access, and we
> can set this up there. I have the rest of the site mostly all setup
> otherwise. That would be the likely place for this. It's got MySQL, PHP,
> Apache, all the usual Redhat Enterprise 4 has. We're using Drupal and
> MediaWiki.
That would be great! I was thinking about using my own website, but this sounds
better!

>   I'm curious how you're going to connect the test page with Gnash
> though... or are you just going to have Gnash connect directly to the
> database ?

Gnash is communicating only with the html page that loaded the testcase, using
javascript, doing like this: getURL('javascript:neededFunction(parameter);')
So the html page uses javascripts to collect all the testdata, and sends all
the data to a php script which analyse the data and put it into the database.
This way the actual use of the database and php should be minimized, instead of
each testcase connecting to the webserver, which could be over 1000 connections
in less than a minute. But since all the testcases must be loaded first, alot
of connections will be made anyway, so the stress on the server will be
considerable.

cheers,

Tomas