Re[2]: [Gnash-dev] Screen Capture / Snapshot / Save As...

From: Udo Giacomozzi
Subject: Re[2]: [Gnash-dev] Screen Capture / Snapshot / Save As...
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 10:34:17 +0100

Hello Martin,

Saturday, October 28, 2006, 2:44:46 PM, you wrote:
MG> Hard to know what that means when you're talking about a moving object
MG> that may have user-interaction. Personally when I need to document a
MG> disfunciton I get gimp's Acquire-screenshot-window thing ready, run
MG> gnash from the command line and suspend (control-Z) it to freeze
MG> something I can grab.

Flash (the IDE) can export movies to video formats like AVI. In that
case it simply ignores gotoAndPlay(), stop() and friends, I guess.

MG> Yes, the same way that mplayer and friends have a play-to-file
MG> video-out option and create a movie/sound file. For automatic testing
MG> of moving images that would be perfect. However, in an ideal world
MG> that applies to all of the renderers, not just AGG

Yes, but (provided all renderers work correctly) isn't rendering speed
the /main/ reason to use OpenGL? I guess speed is not so much
important for someone who wants to convert a SWF file. Can OpenGL
render into a in-memory buffer, btw?

Whatever I just think that AGG probably is the easiest way because the
renderer itself already provides everything required for it and so
there is no necessity to bother about other solutions.

MG> Menu-save-as only really applies to the .swf stream, since it is the
MG> only static object around to be saved. Random screen shotting would be
MG> better done with an external screenshot application I feel, and there
MG> are plenty of thise already.

Mmmh, but that makes it more difficult for the user. A simple "Save
frame to PNG" could be implemented within minutes.

VLC has a similar feature (saves the current frame using a
automatically named file in a predefined directory).

Udo