Re: [Gnash-dev] head in really bad shape

From: Martin Guy
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] head in really bad shape
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 14:50:02 +0000

bugs magnet, what I really think is that we could leave w/out
that magnet as we're already full of bug items...

Bug *report* magnet. Bug reports do not create bugs, they help eliminate them.

You want it to be bug-free? I want it to be bug-free. But if bug
reports annoy, then developer reponses tend to be short and
bad-tempered, and people are discouraged from *reporting* bugs.

I have seen several Gnash bugs in CVS that I haven't reported: gross,
ugly, highly-visible, large-scale misrendering of things, in some or
all versions. But until I take bug-fixing work on board (can't at
present, already overloaded) I keep quiet about them - for exactly
this reason.
I guess it stems from a bad experience with a certain developer who
asked me to test his "free software" product. I did systematically
over a period months on a wide range of hardware, found and reported a
hundred bugs before I stopped, and he hated me for it... because his
desire was to have an empty bug list so as to look good in his free
software career, not a bug free product.
 You have to make a mature person's choice about this: about what you
really want.