Re: [Gnash-dev] Drawing bitmaps (and documenting rendering calls)

From: Udo Giacomozzi
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Drawing bitmaps (and documenting rendering calls)
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 13:24:31 +0100

Hello strk,

s> server/render.h - namespace is defined here, all calls proxied to global
render_handler
s> backend/render_handler.h - base class for all render handlers

s> Where should we keep the official Doxygen documentation for them ?

Don't know. The render handler was rather confusing for me at first.
What's the real use for it, anyway? AFAIK it handles calls when no
render handler is yet initialised. Is there any other reason? And, is
it still valid?

s> I need some documentation for the draw_bitmap() call as I'm
s> implementing loading of external JPEGS.

draw_bitmap() is an old function that's AFAIK only used to draw
bitmap-cached font glyphs. If you look closely you'll notice that the
AGG renderer does not even implement this method.

I don't know what you exactly mean by "loading of external JPEGS".
Normally loading a .JPG file in Flash is like loading a .SWF file that
contains nothing else than a bitmap at stage size. Isn't this already
supported by Gnash?

BTW, embedding a bitmap in a Flash movie technically means having a
rectangle whose fill style is set to bitmap fill. There is no
difference to an arbitrary shaped character with bitmap fill (ok,
the latter will use wrapped fill mode, but that's another story).

s> I get to the point in which the ::display() call for the BitmapMovieInstance
s> is called, and I do have a bitmap_info, but dunno how to call the function
correctly
s> (missing documentation about parameters meaning)

s>         draw_bitmap(const matrix& m, const bitmap_info* bi,
s>                 const rect& coords, const rect& uv_coords, rgba color);

Dunno about the difference between coords and uv_coords, but the
meaning is most probably:

  m = transformation matrix
  bi = the bitmap data
  color = color transform

Remember, the function is designed to render font glyphs..

s> Also, if the 'coords' and 'uv_coords' are really needed, it will help
s> extending the 'bitmap_info' interface to fetch size of the bitmap.

s> Any help ?

I guess you don't really want to use draw_bitmap() at all...

Udo