Re: [Gnash-dev] Re: Bitwise stream reading performance

From: strk
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Re: Bitwise stream reading performance
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 15:23:09 +0200

On Mon, Aug 27, 2007 at 03:15:13PM +0200, strk wrote:

> Basically, it's some services of libgnashbase needing a tu_file,
> and we're calling them from libgnashserver (which includes gnash::stream).
>
> The services are:
>
>   - jpeg::input::create_swf_jpeg2_header_only(tu_file*)
>   - image::read_jpeg(tu_file*);
>   - image::read_swf_jpeg3(tu_file*);
>
> Changing the services to use a gnash::stream would require moving
> out of libgnashbase and in libgnashserver, to avoid circular deps.
> Alternatively, we might use a tu_file wrapper usign gnash::stream

Note also that using gnash::stream instead of tu_file is on itself
a perfomrance loss, as gnash::stream byte reader keeps calling align()
which is not needed by a direct read.

What about making gnash::stream cache controllable by user ?
For example, tag loaders which intend to use the underlying stream
could disable caching, while others could cache the whole tag.