[Gnash-dev] Re: Install locations for gnash plugins

From: John Gilmore
Subject: [Gnash-dev] Re: Install locations for gnash plugins
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 12:38:07 -0800

Here's a new attempt to hack at this Gordian knot.

The standard convention for GNU programs is that "make install" should
install things by default under /usr/local.

That doesn't mean that the end-user is guaranteed that by doing so,
they can just type the command "gnash" and have it run.  No, they'll
probably need to adjust their $PATH, $MANPATH, $LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and
such things to make /usr/local part of their execution environment.
Doing that isn't our problem, though we can help the uninitiated, by
documenting what our program needs to run in common shells.

Let's do the same thing for the plugins!

If there's NO WAY at runtime to configure kde to use plugins stored
/usr/local/lib or a similar location, then that's a bug in kde.  If
there is such a way, then let's document it, install under /usr/local,
and be done.

If there's NO WAY at runtime to configure Firefox to use plugins
stored under /usr/local, then that's a bug in Firefox.  If there IS
such a way, then let's document it, install under /usr/local, and be
done.

(We can also ADD automation, like the nonstandard target
"install-plugins", that would do additional helpful things.  I'd
probably rename it to "install-homedir-plugins" to make it clear *where*
it is installing these plugins.)

        John