Re: [Gnash-dev] Time to git?

From: Jun Ma
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Time to git?
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 10:00:09 +0800

On 3/22/08, Markus Gothe <address@hidden> wrote:
> GIT is quite complex compared to cvs, I'd prefer subversion/svn which is
> more like cvs but better (why? just-freaking-wikipedia-it).

I have been a svn user for more than 2 years, and certainly it's
great, you can keep cvs style operations, set svn email notify, ...
But in my personal view, git should be more suitable for open source
SCM, for example, git branches, testing new features is cheap, also
merging is much more flexible. No servers required, every subsystem
has its own maintainter, project leader get more stable source from
maintainers. patchs management, format patch mails for discussion(svn
also has this ability, see coreboot mailist for demo, but I have no
experience about CVS on this feature), etc.

Of cource, git is complex than CVS/SVN, but for people like us, there
was a way with no pain, here are some guides:

Git - SVN Crash Course: http://git.or.cz/course/svn.html
A tutorial introduction to git:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/tutorial.html
A tutorial introduction to git: part two :
http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/tutorial-2.html

so, there is a git resp for gnash already, why not make it works? :)