Re: [Gnash-dev] Saved media not quite right; youtube nits

From: Benjamin Wolsey
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Saved media not quite right; youtube nits
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 16:07:01 +0100

> It does indeed create saved media files when I go to youtube.  Great!
> But totem is unable to play those files, reporting:
>
>   ** Message: Error: Internal data stream error.
>   gstflvdemux.c(528): gst_flv_demux_loop (): /play/decodebin1/flvdemux1:
>   stream stopped, reason error

Totem is unable to play quite a few things, (on my system, that includes
all h264 files), but I usually find mplayer or ffplay work fine.

> Perhaps the saved stream isn't quite a valid FLV file?

It should be exactly the stream that's downloaded, so there's not much
we can do about it. It could well be a valid file, and the failure is in
totem-gstreamer.

> I tried to get it to save an MPEG4 by going to the Internet Archive, e.g.:
>
>   http://www.archive.org/details/poetry_in_motion_clip
>
> But gnash doesn't succeed in running the Archive's flash player (I
> didn't diagnose why).

It doesn't play because it uses ActionScript 3 (the most recent
FlowPlayer), which is a poor way to get support from free Flash players.

> Perhaps the saved media should have a filename extension based on
> the codec type (e.g. "get_video12.flv").

We don't know the codec type before opening the cache file, so that
would need a mechanism to rename cache files after they've been opened,
and consequently more substantial changes to the code, which I'm trying
to avoid this close to a release. It also doesn't seem like a very GNU
way of doing things either, as GNOME (for me, at least) has no trouble
recognising the correct codec and displaying thumbnails.

> As an aside, a few bugs in the youtube player:
>
>   *  The youtube movie's fullscreen button doesn't go full screen.  But
>      gnash can clearly do it, since the Gnash "Toggle full screen"
>      menu item works.

Yes, it's an ActionScript bug that no one has been able to identify yet,
possibly to do with super()

--
The current release of Gnash is 0.8.4
http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/