Re: [Gnash-dev] Saved media not quite right

From: Benjamin Wolsey
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Saved media not quite right
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 22:27:29 +0100

> I don't understand why Gnash would be able to play a video by using
> the gstreamer library and the codecs it knows about, but Totem
> wouldn't be able to play the very same thing using the very same
> library on the very same system.  Are you really sure there's no gnash
> bug here?  A "Save Media" feature that half the time saves media that
> won't play isn't very useful.

Gnash uses custom gstreamer plugins, I think, borrowed from swfdec, to
play media that Gnash itself parses, so there is every possibility that
it does it better than totem (which, since the default on Mandriva
switched from xine to gstreamer, I've found very disappointing, as it
chokes on all sorts of codecs that played fine before).

> I installed mplayer (2:1.0~rc2-0ubuntu13.1) and it indeed can half-play
> the stream saved from this youtube page ("3 Year Old Solves Rubik's
> Cube in 114 seconds"):
>

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSqUcrFJ498&feature=PlayList&p=D1D5823E1D083AF2&playnext=1&index=2

My download, md5sum 3ee23568d932485e6e6640b05ffe8657, plays with both
audio and video in totem (gstreamer), xine, dragon (gstreamer), vlc,
ffplay and mplayer (1.rc2.23.r28387)

>   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_hlMK7tCks

This video, md5sum 8f75636dc86ff26271495a58708d2588, uses AAC audio,
which doesn't yet work in Gnash (at least, it never has for me). Gnash
should pop up a message saying that, as of yesterday. Totem (gstreamer)
won't play it (AAC is more apparently more patent-encumbered than MP3),
a recent packaged ffplay has poor image decoding and no sound. ffplay
from ffmpeg trunk is fine, and so is the packaged mplayer (both sound
and video perfect). Dragon (gstreamer), xine and vlc have good video, no
sound in the default installation.

So yes, if your md5sums match mine, the downloaded streams are fine. The
problem is that codec support for AAC, H264, and possibly even FLV is
dubious, though it is improving fast for anyone who is brave enough to
ignore patent threats.

--
The current release of Gnash is 0.8.4
http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/