Re: [Gnash-dev] Question about shape fill styles

From: Bastiaan Jacques
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Question about shape fill styles
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 20:43:38 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009, Alessandro wrote:

I'm trying to build up a revamped opengl renderer that could exploit some
modern features such us fragment/vertex shader to speed up some operations.

Great! I would love to see lots of things implemented in hardware, like
bezier curve interpolation, gradient rendering and so on. Unfortunately
the OpenGL renderer doesn't get much attention from us due to time
constraints.

I've a question about the meaning of fill style 0 and 1 when drawing paths.
I've read that they are used for the left and right side of an edge, but this
rule does not work on a simple swf file taken from adobe site:
http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/flash.swf

This contains among the other things a big red 'f' on the left and some blue
boxes at the bottom. All those shapes have the same winding direction (The
interior is always on the right of the edges), but the have opposite fill
styles. ('f' has only fill style 1, boxes have only fill style 0)

I find coordinates difficult to visualise, but this comment from the SWF
spec might help: "For shapes that don't self-intersect or overlap, FillStyle0
should be used."

Bastiaan