Re: [Gnash-dev] long sound delay when using FFMPEG+SDL

From: Hannes Mayr
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] long sound delay when using FFMPEG+SDL
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 12:30:06 +0200

Hello,

strk wrote:
On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 07:02:41PM +0200, Udo Giacomozzi wrote:
At last we've managed to get working audio on Gnash+Nomad. :-)

Now there is the problem that the audio is way late compared to the
screen (approx. 1 second).

GST ?
I suspect you hit the "slow resampling" issue described by
Bastiaan long time ago. There might be even a bug item for that
or maybe archives. For what I remember depending on the gst
plugin used to do resampling you could have different performances
one of which was horrible.

good guess :-) Actually it has to do with the resampling process, but in our case we use FFMPEG and not GST.

As far as I was able to track down the problem it isn't the resampling itself but the initialization of it which takes at least a second (the call to FFMPEG's audio_resample_init() - we use the latest FFMPEG release 0.5 BTW). So everytime an audio stream starts to play there is this delay when the resampler instance is being initialized. Commenting out the resampling code and video and audio are perfectly in sync (playing stereo MP3s is also fine as no resampling is needed).

Any ideas?

Hannes