[Gnash-dev] Re: Development policies

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: [Gnash-dev] Re: Development policies
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 09:12:17 -0600

On 05/28/10 02:03, strk wrote:

> (2)
> We agreed that having a set of rules/policies written down would
> help reducing the diverging perceptions which are likely at the
> root of the recent situation.

 Policies, not rules. Rules are something that gets enforced, Policies
are a guideline... On a free a software project the difference is
important. As the maintainer, I'd prefer not having hard fast rules.

 One thing we have agreed on is that reverting code is the last resort,
not the first, and to define what a last resort is. (lack of response
for many days, for example)

> (3)
> We started drafting a wiki page to help in the process of defining
> these policies. The page is still in progress, and not all items
> in it are still agreed on.

  As mentioned on irc, the policies are easy, it's how we handle
differences of opinion that's important... Considering I just wasted
hours fixing builds bugs caused by somebody else's recent checkin, I
think this educational. Rather than expecting perfection, I just quietly
fixed all the breakage and checked in a working version. This is the way
I've seen free software projects work for decades, when we're all on the
same team. We're supposed to be working together and helping each other,
not wasting time infighting.