6160/6160i

From: Derek Broughton
Subject: 6160/6160i
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 10:17:10 -0300

What is the official status of the 6160?

The gnokii.org FAQ says that it's supported.  The only thread I've found in
the archive is from somebody who has the same problem as me - it always gets
"GSM_LinkOK never went true."

Now, I know my cable works - I can dial up from Windows or Linux.  I know
/dev/ttyS0 is the correct device and I have access to it, because pppd uses
it.  Which according to the FAQ means that I'm using an unsupported model.
The TODO in the debian package also says that 6160 support is still "to be
done" - but to contact hugh before making any source changes.  Unfortunately
the only address I've seen for hugh (@linuxcare.com) got bounced.

The message itself is a little worrisome.  I know most of the world was
smart and decided on a common standard, but my phone's TDMA, not GSM (in
North America we can't even settle on national standards) - please don't
tell me this code can't talk to a TDMA phone!
--
derek