Official info about Gammu

From: Marcin Wiacek
Subject: Official info about Gammu
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2002 20:09:05 +0200

Hi everyone,

First of all, I want to say, that if someone doesn't like my posts or
doesn't see world outside gnokii (especially gnokii developers), please
do not read it. My post is sent only for informing all people, who used
in the past my software. If you think, it's advertising, just put it
into trash.

I renamed project known as MyGnokii2 to Gammu (GNU All Mobile Management
Utilities). There are at least two important reasons:

1.it supports not only DCT3/DCT4 Nokia phones, but also has full AT
support and it was succesfully tested with other devices - various
Siemens, Alcatel, IPAQ, WaveCom and other.

2.it doesn't have almost anything shared with Gnokii now. It's different
developed and contains majority of things different written.

This version starts new way in developing. There are first marks of
cooperation with authors of other GSM software in making one big
cellular manager with one API for various devices (something like ALSA
for sound or lm_sensors for monitoring sensors). I hope to extend it. If
you want to join, feel free to write me.

Now I will write, what I can give (comparing to Gnokii 0.5.0):

* almost each cellular thing (pbk, calendar, todo, ringtones, logos,
sms)
  is written this way, that can be used with any cellular phone. Almost
  everywhere are deleted Nokia specific solutions. No need of rewriting
current
  source in many places (like in Gnokii).

* full Unicode support and using it in internal structures. No needs of
  rewriting all source/testing it for making this feature - it's done
now.

* many debug functions, which allow to know, where is problem and fix it
  (even without having phisically phone)

* updated with each version man page, rpm building stuff, readme(s) and
  win32/linux makefiles. No needs of fixing it. Can use source tarball
or
  easy make rpm.

* using ANSI C allows to quite easy compiling it with various OS

* help during 24 or 48 hours

* easy writing things for specific phone without adding many lines of
stuff
  to "main" source. It allows to eacy play with phone.

* many functions for many things: getting sms (for example, can get all
  possible sms from phone and Gammu will link them, when possible),
sending sms
  (you can write Unicode file and Gammu will send it as SMS coded in
  Unicode/Default Alphabet it won't depend on OS locale), getting pbk,
wap
  things and other.

* backup/restore doesn't depend on phone. Example: backup made on 6110,
3310,
  etc. can be restored on 6210, 6310i, Siemens, etc. Can backup all
phone
  things including sms.

* support for many things like ringtones, logos, wap things over sms and
many
  things unavailable in Gnokii - example, binar ringtones with DCT4 or
enabling
  all phone menus with Nokia phones.

Also, when compare to Gnokii, Gammu has less deaemons now:

* no GUI - in fact, it's almost decided, that it will be in QT (KDE) and
will
  be shared for win32 and Linux

* no possibility of making data calls with Nokia 61xx/51xx. When
somebody will
  want, It could be added.

* no ready SMS server working with MySQL or Postgress. In fact, there is
  quite similiar deaemon for win32 (dll and Delphi project). For Linux
deamon
  is during writing.

It's everything for free (GNU GPL). I don't want to advertise, but want
only to make one universal GSM manager and maybe someone will be
interested. That's all.

Pozdrowienia/Best Regards
--
Marcin Wiacek (mailto:address@hidden,