Re: [open-cobol-list] Introducing myself...(line numbers)

From: boscagarda-programming
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] Introducing myself...(line numbers)
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 06:29:07 -0700 (PDT)

Mr. Klein,

Thanks for the heads about about tiny cobol. Like I mentioned right now I am doing a web interface (in php to my dismay) that I would like to convert to cobol. So screen section isnt that huge to me. Though eventually i imagine I might want it. I dont know anything about C so I couldnt do it. But its good to know tiny cobol is missing so much stuff (I thought I had read that) so I dont use it. My interests are of course to use the more modern cobol since I will be writing new code I am not bound to a particular setup. (Not bringing mainframe data over etc).

Thanks kindly and best regards,
Joseph James Frantz

Bill Klein <address@hidden> wrote:
John,
Is there a good reason that no matter what anyone posts to the OpenCOBOL
list, you always refer them to TinyCOBOL (the "static" - not-growing - COBOL
compiler?

I know that neither are "vendor" products, but your posts to THIS list seem
inappropriate to me.

If you want to try to get an ongoing TinyCOBOL list, that's fine. It
wouldn't even bother me too much if you posted a note occasionally telling
OpenCOBOL people that such a list exists.

HOWEVER, this is not (to me) the place to reply to every note with a
"Try TinyCOBOL (and ignore the fact that it is missing many '85 Standard
as well as all the new '02 Standard stuff - that is available in OpenCOBOL,
but you WILL get a full Screen Section - even though that wasn't what you
were asking about"