Re: [open-cobol-list] Open cobol professional support?

From: Brian Tiffin
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] Open cobol professional support?
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 01:25:58 -0400

I can only give a volunteer doc-writer's rah rah biss boom bah on this one.

I bumped into OpenCOBOL a few months ago.  I'm an OpenVMS polyFORTH and REBOL
programmer by trade, but delve into as many environments as I can.

OpenCOBOL impressed me on first try.  Enough to make me want to use some of my
time to help out with documentation.  The early FAQ is now at
http://add1tocobol.com/opencobol/docs

Being one to wander, I've also written up early proof of concept linkages to

external scripting e.g. gnuplot, bash, REBOL
POSIX Message Queues; testing ok, still early.
libcurl; with a functioning application to refresh the OC 1.1 tarball.
spidermonkey javascript; testing ok, but still very early
starting on the investigation on how to best wrap GTK+

these are still toy interfaces, simplified, but with the cobc tool and the
CALL and cob_resolve interfaces, they can and probably will be solidified and
published.

Firebird embedded SQL EXEC preprocessor for COBOL built into GPRE seems pretty
close to usable, and I'd like to open a dialog with the engineers.

On support packages;  there may not be any currently (and there may well be -
I'm still pretty new to following this project and must admit to not having
the ear of many big players), but I've been pondering the potential of
running a shop that offered support contracts for open COBOL and OpenCOBOL in
particular.  I don't see many downsides as long as things start small and
clients understand that with COBOL's 50 year history, OpenCOBOL 1.0 is still
in its first year.

Note; totally couch level cheerleading.  I don't know what things would be
like in the trenches, but I'd opine that open COBOL will grow and will hold
its own going forward.

Cheers,
Brian