Re: [open-cobol-list] [Bulk] accept a keystroke?

From: John Culleton
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] [Bulk] accept a keystroke?
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 16:23:32 -0500

On Tuesday 26 January 2010 21:35:15 vince coen wrote:
> Hi;
>
> On Tuesday 26 January 2010, John Culleton wrote:
> > On Monday 11 January 2010 21:36:44 Brian Tiffin wrote:
> > > Plus, if it fits your app, the SCREEN SECTION code supports some COBOL
> > > status codes.  Check [b]screenio.cpy[/b] [i](it ships with
> > > OpenCOBOL)[/i] for the list of codes used.  It might save you calling
> > > externals.
> >
> > Are these status codes OC specific or are they used in other compilers? I
> > note that tiny cobol uses different codes.
>
> OC specific, they are not any kind of standard within compilers and should
> never be relied to be so.
>

> Vince

Interesting. The British X/Open organization defines a three byte return code
of which two are in use. if char 1 is 1  or 2 then char 2 is the hexadecimal
code for the function key  number, x'00' to x'0c' on a standard IBM style
keyboard. Colors are defined in the same standard as 0 through 7, same as the
OC array.  So I assume colors in a SCREEN definition can be relied on but
return codes cannot, if one is programming for portability.
--
John Culleton
"Create Book Covers with Scribus"