Re: [open-cobol-list] Is there a problem with the OpenCOBOL site

From: michael
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] Is there a problem with the OpenCOBOL site
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 16:40:06 -0500

Sergey,

The problem occurred using a non-COBOL language, like PHP or Perl......

Now, see want you've done, I feel like ranting, again ;-)

Cobol is very alive, In fact, one estimate says that COBOL applications account for 60% of all the applications that are currently in operation, and another estimate says that these applications process 85% of all the transactions that are processed. So when you withdraw money from an ATM, place an airline reservation, or order a product over the Internet, chances are that a COBOL application has been used to process your transaction.

Another fact is that you just can't beat Cobol for business applications, doing decimal arithmetic is a joke in most other languages. However, their are still many fools who think, and teach other fools that Cobol is a dead language.

I have personally witnessed many failed, costly attempts to migrate Cobol applications to new fad languages. The few successful ones had to do it again within five years because support for the language they chose was no longer available, like FoxPro, or Turbo Pascal, or Delphi, even VB wasn't compatible between versions. Why, because IT managers made big $$ decisions based on marketing articles writen in trades magazines, fricken fools, believing everything they read.

Mike.

On 03/15/2011 03:20 PM, Sergey Kashyrin blathered:
This problem is permanent as of 1 year ago, as well as with OpenCobol, which is "closed" as openproject from my point of view, and dead as a language

Cheers
SKA