gpsd-dev

Re: ✘"Sudo? Sudon't!" and "Saving U-blox Configuration"

From: Bernd Zeimetz
Subject: Re: ✘"Sudo? Sudon't!" and "Saving U-blox Configuration"
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2021 20:45:59 +0100

On 1/16/21 9:16 PM, Gary E. Miller wrote:
> The tick is, I can hack you with sudo without putting anything in your
> path.

Oh nice, I can do that with su, too.

>> Saying that su is more secure than sudo is just silly.
>
> Not requiring passwords for root is silly.  Letting any old phishing
> app hook you.

Thats why sudo requires a password (unless you remove that requirement).

>> For me the question is: why does it fail at all. Looking trough the
>> code I didn't find a reason why it should fail.
>
> As I expected, you don't understand how sudo works then.
>
> Trying the examples, with sudo, will teach you something.

I don't have a ubx chip here right now, but it fails with a sane error
message, no troubles at all. Strace doesn't show anything bad.

Please show what exactly fails for you with sudo and i'll try to fix it
when I found an usb cable and the ubx thing I have somewhere.