gpsd-dev

Re: ✘"Sudo? Sudon't!" and "Saving U-blox Configuration"

From: Joshua Judson Rosen
Subject: Re: ✘"Sudo? Sudon't!" and "Saving U-blox Configuration"
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 12:17:11 -0500

On 1/18/21 1:23 PM, Gary E. Miller wrote:
If you wish to ignore my sage advice, feel free to run insecure systems.

But this list is for discussion of gpsd.  Not sudo.

Then why are you so insistent on discussing the general security issues of sudo
and whether people should use it at all, instead of just describing what the
actual
issue is with _specifically as applied to gpsd_?

I don't understand how this remark is consistent with your stated goal:

Just sudon't.

From the context of this whole discussion, it seems like your issue of
`users shooting themselves into the foot with "sudo ubxtool"' probably
actually has little or nothing to do with sudo's default password-requirement
policy
and more to do with "inconsistent UID usage"--or something like that?
It's not really clear just from the ubxtool-examples text addition that you
showed.

Assume that you convince everybody to get rid of sudo;
so now they're using "su -c" instead. Is that fine? Or does that also
break the same ubxtool examples that sudo breaks?

--
Connect with me on the GNU social network!
<https://status.hackerposse.com/rozzin>