gpsd-dev

Re: ✘"Sudo? Sudon't!" and "Saving U-blox Configuration"

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: ✘"Sudo? Sudon't!" and "Saving U-blox Configuration"
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 13:46:36 -0800

Yo Kai!

On Tue, 19 Jan 2021 22:34:29 +0100
Kai Harrekilde-Petersen <khp@harrekilde.dk> wrote:

> Dear Gary,
>
> Sometimes you can be impressively patient when helping first-time
> users or discussing technical details with other developers, but at
> other times, you come across as a whiny, opinionated 5-year old with
> temper tantrums. This is one of those times.

Feel free to take the lead on helping newbies.  I could use the help.

> I have to ask: what do you think that you are actually achieving by
> arguing in this way?

Uh, sorry.  Not sure what exactly you refer to.  I intentionally argue
here with a variety of styles, depending on the persons involved and
the topic.  I am bery bad at implied idirection.

> I am pretty sure that you don't convince other people (be they users
> or developers) to change their minds by behaving in the way you do.

Yup.  I learned that a LONG time ago.  I can't changes minds on many
topics, but that does not change mine.  When you figure out how to get
my points across better, please show me how well it works.

> In fact, you are definitely turning /me/ away, and I wouldn't be
> surprised that you are turning /other people/ away as well. If you
> are caustic enough, you might find yourself at a point where nobody
> wants to work with you, no matter how talented you are. Even Linus
> Torvalds stopped and tried to change his way of working with other
> people (I have no idea how much he actually changed).

Hmm, so quoting success stories that you do not know are success
stories?  That really convinces me!

Funny you should mention Linus.  he too think Apparmod SELinux and sudo
are jokes.  He has also not convinced anyone.

> Personally I am dead tired of your tirades, and if it continues like
> this, I will be leaving the list shortly. But don't worry, I am no
> loss to the gpsd project. Others leaving might be, though.

Funny, you are sick of it, yet you prolong the converstaion?

Instead of shooting the messenger, maybe jump in and help now and then?

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588