gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Acquiring a Navisys GR[67]01W (was: GR-301W)

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Acquiring a Navisys GR[67]01W (was: GR-301W)
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 11:27:28 -0800

Yo Michael!

On Tue, 18 Nov 2014 19:13:18 +0100
Michael Weiser <address@hidden> wrote:

> > It has been 14 months since we validated the Navisys GR-601W as a
> > worthy way to get +/-1 milli Sec PPS over USB. In spite of many
> > attempts no US retailer has picked up the product.
>
> I'm playing around with setting up a time server for my local network.
> My platform is limited to USB. Thus far I've got a DCF77 time source
> going and it seems to work nicely.

Cool, GPS should be even better.

> Now I want to compare it to a GPS time source (for cost reasons). I
> tried a cheap ublox-6 GPS mouse without PPS and was amazed how well it
> works indoors. Now I'm now trying to get a hold of a GR-601W (or 701W
> as Navisys lists it on their website:

Not the same, the 601W is uBlox 6, the 701W is uBloox 7.  Not sure if that
make a noticeable difference.

> Before someone suggests DIY: Yes, I know which end of a soldering iron
> to hold but try to avoid it. So a reasonably-priced, non-DIY-solution
> as this one is right up my alley.

The change is a one wire addition, but I have not opened up a 601W to see
where it goes.

> I'd be willing to order a bunch (10-20) from Taiwan and distribute
> them to other interested users in Europe (if enough can be found). I
> am however somewhat repelled by the commercial-application-centric
> inquiry forms at www.navisys.com.tw and www.globalsources.com.

They respond nicely to emailed RFQs.

> So what do you reckon is the best way to get a hold of a Navisys
> GR-[67]01W from Germany/Europe?

I could sell you one, I have a few 601Ws left.

> Or is there an alternative (possibly involving some very minor
> soldering-iron-holding)?

You could try an RS-232 GPS w/ PPS on a USB 2.0 serial adapter.  I have
had that on my todo list for a while.  It will be costlier and funkier.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1(541)382-8588