guix-devel

Re: [Proposal] The Formal Methods in GNU Guix Working Group

From: Orians, Jeremiah (DTMB)
Subject: Re: [Proposal] The Formal Methods in GNU Guix Working Group
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2020 12:02:34 +0000

> I'm interested on this topic and I will try to help as much as I can.
Good
> The original idea of Brett is very interesting. In my case I would do the
> base compiler implemented in C and using yacc (for example) to implement the
> grammar.
> But it won't make sense in a community like Guix where most people know
> Scheme rather than C/C++.
> So it may make sense to write a small C compiler for Scheme and then write
> the ML bootstrap compiler in Scheme, similar to what Guix does to bootstrap
> itself with nyacc.
Well we already have a C compiler written in scheme, it is called Gnu Mes
(MesCC to be precise)

We also have a scheme bootstrappable from nothing written in C
https://github.com/oriansj/mes-m2
https://github.com/oriansj/mescc-tools-seed

> This will solve more problems than Guix itself, because it seems this
> bootstrapping problem comes historically from the very first implementations
> of ML.
Let us hope

> As we talked yesterday with Brett via chat, PolyML is the only one that has
> been packaged in Guix but it is very tricky, because they have on the repo
> the binaries to boostrap itself.
That needs to be fixed

> Writting a Scheme compiler should be easy, if we don't care about
> optimization techniques. It doesn't need that requirements.
> But if you need any help in the low level area, I can help you guys.
Well I need more help in the high level areas

-Jeremiah