guix-devel

RE: [Proposal] The Formal Methods in GNU Guix Working Group

From: Orians, Jeremiah (DTMB)
Subject: RE: [Proposal] The Formal Methods in GNU Guix Working Group
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2020 12:13:04 +0000

> ISTR someone made an initrd with guile in it, and "booted to guile."
Yep amazing work that it is; someone also made emacs an initrd too

> If that is so, does that not suggest that "from nothing" could be independent
> of a running kernel?
Actually no, bare metal is a bit different than running on top of a posix
But is even more fun is we made a 737byte initrd/shell
https://github.com/oriansj/bootstrap-seeds/blob/master/kaem-optional-seed.hex0
Which means one can bootstrap on POSIX from hex0 and the above all the way to
mes-m2

> Wouldn't that be cool? !! ;-)
Indeed, hence why the solving of the Linux/POSIX bootstrap problem can be
solved with M2-Planet and stage0
Need more help though to get it all done faster

-Jeremiah