guix-devel

Re: Guix search, colors and INSIDE_EMACS

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: Guix search, colors and INSIDE_EMACS
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2020 17:44:30 +0100

>> - Leave colors when INSIDE_EMACS is set.
>
> Like Ricardo wrote before, this is not desirable for shell-mode.  Also,
> all or most GNU command-line tools behave that way.

There might be a misunderstanding because M-x shell supports ANSI
terminal colors explicitly.  Why disable them then?

Many command line tools print colors properly in M-x shell.  I think
it's a misfeature to disable them in Emacs; I don't see any benefits.

>> - Disable pager hint and display all search results when INSIDE_EMACS is set.
>
> I have a preference for something that doesn’t fill the screen,
> especially since the last answers (those that remain visible without
> scrolling) are the least relevant.  Emacs makes it easier to scroll up
> and search, but still.
>
> Thoughts?

I find that printing just 1 result to be of little use in general.
So between printing all results and just 1, I have a preference for
printing all results.  But there are other solutions, see below.

Note that `less` does not work well neither in Eshell nor in M-x shell.
Which is what started this discussion ;)

Another option for M-x shell is to do

guix search foo | cat

which gives us the same result as the patch I've sent, with more typing :(

Eshell has a "smart-scrolling" mode (the point stays at the first prompt
until validated).

For M-x shell, going to the first result is just one keypress away.

Another option would be to reverse the order of the result: print the
most relevant result last, so that neither Eshell nor M-x shell have to
scroll back.

Thoughts?

--
Pierre Neidhardt