guix-devel

Re: Guix search, colors and INSIDE_EMACS

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Guix search, colors and INSIDE_EMACS
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2020 18:11:20 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, 24 Feb 2020 at 17:44, Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> wrote:

> >> - Leave colors when INSIDE_EMACS is set.
> >
> > Like Ricardo wrote before, this is not desirable for shell-mode.  Also,
> > all or most GNU command-line tools behave that way.
>
> There might be a misunderstanding because M-x shell supports ANSI
> terminal colors explicitly.  Why disable them then?
>
> Many command line tools print colors properly in M-x shell.  I think
> it's a misfeature to disable them in Emacs; I don't see any benefits.

I think there is a misunderstanding because we are not talking about
Emacs but about "terminal emulator" (and Emacs happens to be one).
And we are talking how to enable OSC and colouring in the terminal emulator.

It has been done using INSIDE_EMACS because most of us use Emacs as
terminal emulator (eshell or shell-mode).
But IMHO, it is not the issue. The issue is:
 - how to turn on/off the OSC in *any* terminal emulator (supporting
or not OSC).
 - how to enable/disable colouring in any terminal emulator.

> >> - Disable pager hint and display all search results when INSIDE_EMACS is
> >> set.
> >
> > I have a preference for something that doesn’t fill the screen,
> > especially since the last answers (those that remain visible without
> > scrolling) are the least relevant.  Emacs makes it easier to scroll up
> > and search, but still.

Here, it is the same. The question is how to disable the behaviour
using whatever terminal emulator.

And instead of multiplying* the environment variables, we should add a
file in ~/.config/guix/config.scm to set the user preference. WDYT?

*I have in mind the
GUIX_DISK_SPACE_WARNING_ABSOLUTE_MY_SCREEN_IS_NOT_ENOUGH_LARGE_TO_READ_IT
;-)

All the best,
simon