guix-devel

Re: Guix search, colors and INSIDE_EMACS

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: Guix search, colors and INSIDE_EMACS
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2020 15:22:50 +0100

Hi,

On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 at 14:42, Alex Griffin <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 13, 2020, at 9:30 AM, zimoun wrote:
> > Therefore, IMHO you need to set the environment variable by yourself
> > in your config file. Or send a patch upstream.
> > Because the reason is that EShell is not doing the right thing and it
> > is not compliant to the doc.
>
> Compliant to which doc? The only place I can find documentation for
> INSIDE_EMACS is in the shell-mode docs. I can't find any doc that suggests it
> should be set by any other package.

I badly worded. Sorry.

As Ricardo pointed [1], the Emacs doc [2] says:

 Emacs sets the environment variable INSIDE_EMACS in the subshell to
 ‘version,comint’, where version is the Emacs version (e.g.,
 ‘24.1’). Programs can check this variable to determine whether they are
 running inside an Emacs subshell.

So EShell should manage INSIDE_EMACS since it could be considered as
an Interactive Shell or subshell.
It is how I understand it. Maybe, I misread.

Well, concretely, if you use EShell and you want a readable "guix
describe", you have to put in your '.emacs' config file something like
'(setenv "INSIDE_EMACS" "1")'. Or you should patch EShell and report
it upstream.

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2020-02/msg00040.html
[2]
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Interactive-Shell.html