guix-devel

Re: 01/03: ui: Only display link in capable terminals.

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: 01/03: ui: Only display link in capable terminals.
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2020 00:16:25 +0100

Hi,

Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> You mean the "~%" in "~a~%file: ~a"?
>>> How would you like to display it?
>>
>> I would not display it at all.  I think it’s a bit of clutter that’s
>> best avoided.
>>
>> I guess I’m suggesting a revert of this patch.
>
> So users of terminals without hyperlink support cannot see this piece of
> information?  That's to bad in my opinion.  Better display more than too
> little.

I’ve reverted it in c2f9ea2b502a617bb69227d5f858eee9d4288a6a, also
because if was causing a test failure.

The way I see it, it’s on purpose that this piece of information was not
displayed before.  For example, I think ‘guix describe’ should be
to-the-point.

More generally, hyperlinks were introduced as a way to enhance the user
experience for those using capable terminals.  Like for hyperlinks in
HTML, it’s a way to convey additional information; displaying all these
links in addition to the “invisible” hyperlink data can only lead to
clutter IMO, and defeats the point of hyperlinks.

Thoughts?

Ludo’, who’s supposed to be mostly away from keyboard this week.  :-)