guix-devel

Re: 01/03: ui: Only display link in capable terminals.

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: 01/03: ui: Only display link in capable terminals.
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2020 15:29:18 +0100

Hi Ludo,

On Fri, 28 Feb 2020 at 00:16, Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote:

> I’ve reverted it in c2f9ea2b502a617bb69227d5f858eee9d4288a6a, also
> because if was causing a test failure.

I understand and I am fine.
This needs more discussion and polishing.

> The way I see it, it’s on purpose that this piece of information was not
> displayed before.  For example, I think ‘guix describe’ should be
> to-the-point.
>
> More generally, hyperlinks were introduced as a way to enhance the user
> experience for those using capable terminals.  Like for hyperlinks in
> HTML, it’s a way to convey additional information; displaying all these
> links in addition to the “invisible” hyperlink data can only lead to
> clutter IMO, and defeats the point of hyperlinks.

I do not buy your argument. :-)
Hyperlinks means 2 things: how the link is displayed and how to follow
the link. And they are generally connected. If you can click to the
link to follow it then you can display it as you want.
The point is to control how to display the link; whatever the way to follow it.

However, I agree that INSIDE_EMACS is not the right environment
variable to deal with that.

> Ludo’, who’s supposed to be mostly away from keyboard this week.  :-)

Enjoy your holidays! :-)

Cheers,
simon