guix-devel

Re: rav1e AV1 encoder

From: Efraim Flashner
Subject: Re: rav1e AV1 encoder
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2020 15:30:43 +0200

On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 12:26:13PM -0500, Leo Famulari wrote:
> I'm wondering if I can just push the crates as a single commit, after
> inserting them alphabetically and fixing any cosmetic issues, and also
> handling the semver-compatible package updates.
>
> I know that we don't usually do this when adding packages to an existing
> module. We do add packages en masse when creating a new module.
>
> The reason I'm asking to make an exception to our policy of one package
> or update per commit are that it will be a ton of work (several full
> days at least) to add software that is already working fine on the
> wip-rav1e branch.

It took me about 3 weeks to review ~270 patches for alacritty and it was
easily more than 20 hours.

> I don't see what value this additional labor will give to Guix users,
> including developers. At least, I don't think the value of individual
> commits will outweigh the value of my labor in this case.
>
> What do you all think?

I suppose it's not that much different than updating all the GHC
packages in one go, except that they're more interconnected. I suppose
we could throw them all into the crates-io module and then hack on all
270 packages at once in a separate branch. That certainly would be easier
than adding them one at a time.

--
Efraim Flashner   <address@hidden>   אפרים פלשנר