guix-devel

Re: rav1e AV1 encoder

From: Martin Becze
Subject: Re: rav1e AV1 encoder
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2020 12:04:42 -0500

On 2/27/20 12:26 PM, Leo Famulari wrote:
I'm wondering if I can just push the crates as a single commit, after
inserting them alphabetically and fixing any cosmetic issues, and also
handling the semver-compatible package updates.

I know that we don't usually do this when adding packages to an existing
module. We do add packages en masse when creating a new module.

The reason I'm asking to make an exception to our policy of one package
or update per commit are that it will be a ton of work (several full
days at least) to add software that is already working fine on the
wip-rav1e branch.

I don't see what value this additional labor will give to Guix users,
including developers. At least, I don't think the value of individual
commits will outweigh the value of my labor in this case.

What do you all think?

Yeah I have also wondered this. I think it would make things a lot easier if we could do single commits.