Re: All bash variables that can be used as temp variables?

From: Greg Wooledge
Subject: Re: All bash variables that can be used as temp variables?
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2023 13:13:01 -0500

On Sat, Jan 28, 2023 at 02:39:35AM +0900, Koichi Murase wrote:
> It is highly confusing, but as far as I understand, Peng is not
> talking about practical scripting but persuing the theoretical corner
> cases and possibilities of the language design.

The problem is, bash isn't primarily a *language*.  It's an implementation
of an evolving standard that has its roots in a shell that was created
in the late 1970s (Bourne), and strongly influenced by a derivative
shell from the late 1980s (Korn), with a bit of csh thrown in as well,
where that doesn't conflict with the other two.

Nobody is going to turn bash into a full-featured programming language.
That isn't the goal of the project.

If Chet feels that new features are worth adding and supporting, then
new features may be added.  Associative arrays, for example, are
extremely useful, and were added in bash 4.0.

However, existing features will generally not be changed, because
that would break existing scripts.  Backward compatibility is *much*
more important to the project than whatever aesthetic or theoretical
considerations Peng Yu is fixated upon.