Re: Issue building on MSWindows + msys

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Issue building on MSWindows + msys
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2023 07:45:01 +0200

> Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 23:00:03 +0100
> From: Ergus <spacibba@aol.com>
>
> >Did you update any of your system utilities (like Grep) or libraries
> >lately?
> >
> Hi Eli:
>
> I made a clean msys2 install and installed the same packages I had before.
> Everything from the official msys repositories

I asked whether some of the system utilities and libraries are now
different from what they were before the clean install.  Because some
of those updates, and not some change in Emacs, could be the reason
for the problem you see.  For example, if you now have the latest
version of GCC, try to downgrade to the previous major GCC release,
and see if that helps.

> The issue is weird because the compilation continues after the error, and
> completes apparently successfully (ignoring the errors). Except if I try
> 'make -j' In that case the error aborts the build.

This could mean some issue with Make or with Bash.  But it's hard to
say without seeing the full output of the build that continues.

(In general, this should be discussed on the bug tracker, not here.)

> After compiling and installing, the new emacs installation actually works,
> but it shows some issues. However, I will double check them before opening a
> bug report. For example the history search (up arrow) in the mini buffer is
> not working and says that there is no history match... (But the history file
> is there and is not corrupted)

It should have been a bug report to begin with.