help-gnucap

Re: Gnucap Newbie: did I come to the right place?

From: Matthias Brennwald
Subject: Re: Gnucap Newbie: did I come to the right place?
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2020 22:35:21 +0100

Felix Salfelder <address@hidden> schrieb am Fr., 14. Feb. 2020, 19:48:

> On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 10:52:12AM +0100, Matthias Brennwald wrote:
> > I have your PDF documentation from 2006, which I found on Google. Can you
> > point me to the documentation of the current Gnucap version?
>
> Hi Matthias
>
> The pdf manual has been discontinued or suspended, though some bits are
> still useful.
>
> There is a section [1] in the wiki that replaces the pdf. some
> (relevant) pages are missing, such as [2]. does not imply that it is
> not implemented. Some guesswork is required, or just ask.
>
> have fun
> felix
>
> [1] http://gnucap.org/dokuwiki/doku.php/gnucap:manual
> [2] http://gnucap.org/dokuwiki/doku.php/gnucap:manual:devices:semi:jfet

The wiki documentation seems like a skeleton that is missing a lot of
content. The way it is, the wiki is not useful for a clueless newcomer like
me.

Is there maybe some built-in command-line tool that provides some
information on how to use Gnucap, like a "help" command? Or is there some
other way to read up on how to use and learn Gnucap?

If there is no sufficiently complete documentation available, it might be
possible to get me going if someone would provide me with a step by step
example using a circuit I can relate to. Consider the schematic in Fig. 15b
in this article:
https://audioxpress.com/article/JFETs-The-New-Frontier-Part-2
- How would I set this up in Gnucap?
- How would I use Gnucap to tell me the DC operating points?
- How would I use Gnucap to determine and plot harmonic distortion present
in the output signal for 1 kHz input a 1 Vrms?

It would be great if someone could help me get the grips with Gnucap.