Re: Undefined symbol when loading g++ created library

From: Paul Pluzhnikov
Subject: Re: Undefined symbol when loading g++ created library
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 21:21:10 -0800

Adam Nielsen <a.nielsen@shikadi.rem.ove.net> writes:

> Now when Main tries to load Plugin using dlopen() it fails, telling me
> RootClass is an undefined symbol.

It doesn't. It tells you that some symbol is undefined, but it is
not the 'RootClass', because there should not be such a symbol in
Main in the first place.

Please post the exact error message you get from dlerror(3).

> I assumed that it would find the
> implementation of RootClass in Main and use that (I thought that was
> what the g++ -rdynamic option was for.)

Yes, that's exactly what '-rdynamic' is for. However, you need
'-rdynamic' when you link Main, *not* when you link the Plugin.

If that's what you did, please try to construct a trivial compilable
example, and provide *exact* compile and link lines and gcc and
OS versions.

Cheers,
Remove /-nsp/ for email.