Re: [iiwusynth-devel] Optimization

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [iiwusynth-devel] Optimization
Date: 06 Mar 2002 16:38:46 -0700

On Wed, 2002-03-06 at 17:34, Peter Hanappe wrote:

> I found somes code on the web to use the TSC register on intel
> processors. I'll copy it below. Seems like a good way to measure time.
>
> Do you any other optimized way to read the time?

I think thats probably THE most accurate time source (I don't think you
could get any more accurate, as it appears to be a CPU cycle based
counter). The other one would be a re-programmed RTC. Otherwise I think
you are dealing with an 100hz system timer with most system time related
functions, which doesn't seem all that accurate, perhaps it would be
okay for our purposes though.
Doesn't seem like the TSC register is that hard to use though, I know
the latencytest suite uses it. It would be real easy to read the value
at the beginning of the synthesis routine and then read it back at
various points throughout and do a min/max/avg calculation on each
iteration of the synth. Or if not wanting to add CPU load in doing the
averaging calculations, just store the elapsed time in an array or
something and calculate at the end. Cheers!
        Josh Green