[iiwusynth-devel] Re: Automatic buffer settings

From: Antoine Schmitt
Subject: [iiwusynth-devel] Re: Automatic buffer settings
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 15:12:52 +0100

:::::::::24/11/02::::14:35 +0200::::Markus Nentwig:::::::::
I think it should be left to the user to find the right settings.

That's tough. We, at least you, are experts in sound, but most users are not, they (musicians, sound designers, etc..) use a sound engine, and dont want to bother with cryptic buffer sizes, they just want the system to work well, otherwise they drop it. But I agree if by "users" you mean people who link their application with Fluid, like me who is doing this Xtra. But then, if Fluid does not provide for an adaptive buffer size, I'm going to be "secure" and set a large buffer size for all hardware, because, as a user of the API, I dont have access to the low-level driver information...

What we could do is simply rely on the card's default settings, instead
of using synth-internal default settings

That may be a good minimal 'automatic' behavior for Fluid. Is there a way to do this ?

++ as