[iiwusynth-devel] Multi channel output and number of midi channels

From: M. Nentwig
Subject: [iiwusynth-devel] Multi channel output and number of midi channels
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 11:25:59 +0200

Hello,

A flexible number of effect channels is a very, very good idea.
The Fx channels like reverb, chorus etc can be stereo by default. It's a
bit more overhead in the DSP loop, but CPUs are getting faster even as I
write this...
The approach to do things like on a mixing console is useful for reverb,
chorus. But I need insert effects as well for equalizer, overdrive,
autopan, wahwah and that sort of things. Insert effects are applied
usually -before- the aux send. My LADSPA module will do that job, if I
extend it to multichannel input / output. But I just mention this - I
think Peter's concept will work out fine.
My own RME Multiface has 10 analog output channels, so I can test the
multichannel synthesizer.

Concerning the API changes: I feel that we should do the multichannel
API changes before making a stable release. Other developers will
probably start with the last stable release, and why give them a
headache?

Something completely different: Sampling frequency other than 44.1 k -
This could be implemented together with a 'master tune' parameter.

About C++: No real opinion here. Is it possible, that C++ projects
always take an eternity to compile (or is the reason, that the big
projects like MUSE are always written in C++ ?)

Cheers

Markus