RE: [iiwusynth-devel] Multi channel output and number of midi channels

From: M. Nentwig
Subject: RE: [iiwusynth-devel] Multi channel output and number of midi channels
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 22:01:01 +0200

Moi again,

my proposal:

- Implement the multi channel function as you explained (channel
wraparoud)
- Implement the multi-aux bus structure as you proposed, stereo,
including chorus and reverb in their places according to the MIDI
standard
- By default mix the aux returns to 'physical' output 1 and 2
- By default the MIDI channel 'modulo' number and the number of physical
channels are the same (as in your mail).
- The mixing is implemented outside of the LADSPA Fx unit, which can be
left out of compilation as before.

Now my additions: If LADSPA is compiled in
- The MIDI channel modulo factor is arbitrary
When LADSPA is turned off (at runtime), proceed as above.
When it's turned on (at runtime):
- The wrapped-around MIDI channels appear as single-channel inputs in
the LADSPA Fx unit
- The Aux ways appear also as inputs, in stereo.
- Chorus and reverb appear on their respective aux ways if enabled. If
disabled, the clean signal is fed through instead.

This way we get the advantages of both ideas:
- For the average user, the similarity to a HW mixing console makes
things easier
- 'Power users' can use LADSPA like 'Reason' as a patch bay to build the
Fx rack of their dreams.
- If somebody needs the 'lean-and-mean' version, he compiles without the
LADSPA option, default anyway.

What do you think?

Cheers

Markus

PS: The documentation for the Fx unit actually exists, I wrote it
together with the code. Let's see if I can find it still.