[Javaweb-submit] package name request

From: jac34
Subject: [Javaweb-submit] package name request
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 18:01:03 -0400

Greetings,

I would like to request a Java package name in the gnu namespace.

It's for a project that I have developed: A Dynamically Distributed
Object/Proxy Model using RMI.  It contains many of the features of Jini,
and DCOM, but is a tiny fraction of their size, much easier to use, and can
be completely understood.

I am making it available under the GNU LGPL, as I would like it to allow
the freedom for both free, and non-free, software to interoperate.   I feel
that is one of the most significant promises of Java, in general.

This has been a labor of love of mine, for 5 years; continually
refactoring, optimizing, and minimizing, it into the robust well-tested
project it is today.  It contains many powerful Java hacks I've never seen
implemented anywhere before.

I named the project cajo, for lack of a better name.  Historically, it's
from my old Multics days, where our sysadmin made user names from the first
two letters of the last name, followed by the first two of the first.
Remarkably, the approach worked well, I guess we didn't have many users
back then.

Can I please have the package name gnu.cajo ?

Thanks,

John

PS  I am currently looking for a site to host the project and its email.  I
would be happy to get back to you with the URL.  I looked at Savannah, but
my documentation is in javadoc, not texinfo, and my build script is a M$DOS
batch, not Ant.  Before laughing at me, please remember that a lot of the
early GNU software was also written on non-free operating systems too.  The
cajo project is a bridge between free and non-free software.