koha-devel

[Koha-devel] Re: translated images

From: paul POULAIN
Subject: [Koha-devel] Re: translated images
Date: Mon Dec 2 05:10:04 2002

Francisco M. Marzoa Alonso a écrit:

One question : do you know the user difference between a librarian
interface, and an opac ?

Not at all. I think OPAC @ port 8080 is for librarian while port 80 interface
is used by library users, but I must say that I've a lot of doubts about many
concepts implemented in Koha. WTFM? ;-)

That's what i thought...
You're almost right.
* OPAC means Online Public Access to Catalog. It's the end-user interface. In an OPAC, the borrower can search for a book, reserve it, and see it's status (the reader page) if he/she's identified. It's in port 80 on default installation.
* librarian/8080 port is the librarian access. In it, you can do anything/everything.
* OPAC is not a koha-specific term. Everybody in librarian world uses it. A third word is often used, it's "web catalog". As koha is a web based application, the web catalog and the opac are the same thing...
--
Paul POULAIN
responsable francophone de koha (SIBGB libre http://fr.koha.org)