koha-devel

[Koha-devel] Re: Developer

From: paul POULAIN
Subject: [Koha-devel] Re: Developer
Date: Mon Dec 2 13:03:08 2002

Ed Summers a écrit:
Salut Paul,
do u speak french ?
In fact, Steve pointed me a solution with the official MARC::Record.
Now, we don't need a patched version.

Wonderful.
VERY IMPORTANT thing. Can u tell us more ?

Sure, I've been working on MARC::Charset [1] which allows people to translate
character data encoded in MARC-8 [2] to Unicode (UTF8). As you may know already
the MARC-8 environment allowed libraries work with Roman, Greek, Cyrillic,
Hebrew and Asian characters when Unicode was just a glimmer in a young
programmers eye. The only bummer is that MARC-8 characters don't work in
HTML or XML very well. I've got the 8 bit translations working well, and am
working on getting the 32 bit encodings to work (the huge East Asian set).

Queens Public Library contacted me because they had a slightly different
request. They were wondering if it would be possible to take a batch of records
containing transliterated Russian, and add 880 fields [3] that contain the
Cyrillic equivalent. It's still a work in progress, and it's only for Russian,
but it appears to be coming along. I used MARC::Charset as part of a web based
demo to show what the Cyrillic would look like in the new records. Most web
browsers can display UTF8 now without too much trouble.
alleluia !
great new. Is it planned to inclut this into MARC::Record ? as loading french unimarc record is a pain for extended characters at the moment.

And, 1.3 needs heavily testing. should not be too far from good
stability (2.0RC1).  Still misses MARC searches, and MARC export.

I'd like to take a stab at writing some automated tests, since it would be a
good place for me to start learning about how KOHA works.
yep. And it's something nobody cares until then (except for our benevolent dictator, which asked many times, but nobody obey :-) )
[1] http://search.cpan.org/author/ESUMMERS/MARC-Charset-0.2/lib/MARC/Charset.pm
[2] http://lcweb.loc.gov/marc/specifications/speccharintro.html
[3] http://lcweb.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/ecbdhold.html#mrcb880

--