koha-devel

[Koha-devel] Moving to Arch?

From: MJ Ray
Subject: [Koha-devel] Moving to Arch?
Date: Wed Sep 22 01:45:02 2004

In yesterday's IRC, "CVS and Arch" was one of the last things discussed and some of the developers had to be in other places by then, so I agreed to summarise to the list and start discussion here. Please wade in with comments or questions as you see fit. Here we go!

Introduction:

I introduced GNU Arch http://www.gnuarch.org/ which solved the problems I had getting 2.0 under control and making tarballs from it. The move mostly consisted from making a tarball from CVS, unpacking it and then adding the files to an Archive. That's what you can get from my development page at http://www.mjr.dsl.pipex.com/

Anyone can make their own copy of the koha2 archive and publish it if they have a public file space (web, ftp or sftp for sure). That works for mirrors and for development branches. So, new developers have full revision control easily, by default, rather than needing hacks or write access to the release source tree. A release manager can merge their changes into the release tree with a simple command. Apart from merging, all operations happen on your own file space, which eliminates the wait for a central server to answer that often holds me back with CVS.

Suggestion and tasks:

I suggest trying to move to arch for 2.4 development if we can get it working for current developers, because it should make the lives of the release managers and new developers a lot easier. I've offered to answer questions and improve my tutorial until it's good enough.

Some commented about having large amounts of CVS experience, but there didn't really any great love for CVS, more a feeling of "better the devil we know". The sticking points are likely to be users of GUI interfaces and Microsoft Windows, so I'd be very happy about offers to help with those.

No other public archives for 2.0 were posted, which I think is a shame, but I guess 2.2 has all the appeal for developers now. A couple of people mentioned that they would like 2.0 commit messages to koha-cvs, so I'll try to set that up.

There was a suggestion of compiling a list of benefits and drawbacks of each system, but I think that's probably already covered by http://wiki.gnuarch.org/moin.cgi/SubVersionAndCvsComparison or could be (it's a wiki).

Finally, what would happen to the CVS? I'd leave it as a historical record, with some clear marking that development has moved on. You can transfer some of the history to Arch, but it's an attempt to reconstruct information that isn't really kept by CVS, so it seems more trouble than its worth.

 Creative copyleft computing - http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
http://www.thewalks.co.uk stand 13,Lynn Carnival,12 Sep