koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] new acquisition module [announce]

From: Dan Scott
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] new acquisition module [announce]
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 19:52:53 -0500

On 18/01/2008, Paul POULAIN <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello folks,

Just to let you know : BibLibre (sponsored by SAN-OP), has started to
develop a new acquisition module, best suited for larger libraries than
the one we have in Koha atm.
The specs are written in French. If someone want to have them for
translation, let me know (22 pages)

To summarize :
- divide budget in groups and sub-groups (not only 1 level as we have now)
- the library can ask an RFP before the official order.
- the bookseller can fill the RFP online if wanted
- the orders can be done from scratch, from existing catalogue or from
suggestions (as in koha 3.0), but also from an external data source
(iso2709 file)
- each document bought is attached to group, sub-group, expected
audience, expected branch
- librarians can be responsible for acquisition on a given group/sub-group
- the module will provide a lot of features to plan how the library will
spend money, and analyze how they have spent it : group, sub-group
(yearly & monthly), audience, branch

BibLibre has hired a new developer (Olivier Saury) to work on that (and
only on that).
The DB schema is done.
The coding has started. We will use only Koha tools & it will be fully
integrated with Koha (so developed in English, unlike the specs). The
3.0 acquisition module will stay available, for smaller libraries, the
new one will be activtaable by a syspref.
We also hope to be able to have this module as standalone, for libraries
happy with their ILS, but unhappy with it's acquisition module. But the
module may not be available as standalone app in 1st version.

I don't think I'm missing something, but any question welcomed.
--
Paul POULAIN
BibLibre SARL

Hi Paul:

This sounds like an excellent step forward! Many thanks to BibLibre and SAN-OP.

We (Laurentian University) would be willing to translate the specifications into English. As far as we're concerned, the more specifications for acquisitions systems that are openly available, the better!

--
Dan Scott
Laurentian University