koha-devel

[Koha-devel] new acquisition module [announce]

From: Paul POULAIN
Subject: [Koha-devel] new acquisition module [announce]
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 16:08:27 +0100

Hello folks,

Just to let you know : BibLibre (sponsored by SAN-OP), has started to develop a new acquisition module, best suited for larger libraries than the one we have in Koha atm. The specs are written in French. If someone want to have them for translation, let me know (22 pages)

To summarize :
- divide budget in groups and sub-groups (not only 1 level as we have now)
- the library can ask an RFP before the official order.
- the bookseller can fill the RFP online if wanted
- the orders can be done from scratch, from existing catalogue or from suggestions (as in koha 3.0), but also from an external data source (iso2709 file) - each document bought is attached to group, sub-group, expected audience, expected branch
- librarians can be responsible for acquisition on a given group/sub-group
- the module will provide a lot of features to plan how the library will spend money, and analyze how they have spent it : group, sub-group (yearly & monthly), audience, branch

BibLibre has hired a new developer (Olivier Saury) to work on that (and only on that).
The DB schema is done.
The coding has started. We will use only Koha tools & it will be fully integrated with Koha (so developed in English, unlike the specs). The 3.0 acquisition module will stay available, for smaller libraries, the new one will be activtaable by a syspref. We also hope to be able to have this module as standalone, for libraries happy with their ILS, but unhappy with it's acquisition module. But the module may not be available as standalone app in 1st version.

I don't think I'm missing something, but any question welcomed.
--
Paul POULAIN
BibLibre SARL