koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] [IMPORTANT] transfer & reserve problem/question (bug ?)

From: Paul POULAIN
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] [IMPORTANT] transfer & reserve problem/question (bug ?)
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 17:53:58 +0100

Galen Charlton a écrit :
Hi Paul,

On 1/25/08, Paul POULAIN <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello world,

World sends greetings. :)

imo, a book being transfered should display "1 item being transfered
from X to Y" (in staff interface) and "Not available" (in opac)
a book reserved should be displayed likely.

Sounds reasonable, but this definitely should be configurable, as some
libraries may want to also have to OPAC explicitly say "in transit" or
"in transit from X to Y" rather than just a plain "not available".

Definetly... I think we should click on the "pause" button, and think a little bit more about what we want for Koha. I've seen dozens of sysprefs, some of them being very important & interesting & some of them being, imho, too much. We face the risk to build what we call in french a "gaz plant", to mean "something so complex to manage that it's unuseable"

Displaying "Not available" or "in transit" or "in transit from X to Y" is typically the king of thing that we should avoid to put in a syspref. We should decide how to have it & explain any customer what it means to have zillions of sysprefs.

I don't think a new items field would necessary, as the transfer
status should be derivable from branchtransfers and the request status
from reserves.  Perhaps there should be an omnibus function in
C4::Circulation or C4::Items that checks all of the various fields
that describe an item's status and returns a nicely structured result
that in turn can be parsed for display in the staff or OPAC search
results.
What do you call an omnibus function ? Could you give some more details about how you would implement it ?

thx by advance
--
Paul POULAIN
BibLibre SARL