Re: DogCows or Polymorphism in the Hurd

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: DogCows or Polymorphism in the Hurd
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 20:38:12 +0100

At Thu, 9 Feb 2006 16:47:53 +0100,
Patrick Negre <address@hidden> wrote:

> Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > Ok.  So the new problem is exchanging capabilities using a persistent
> > directory hierarchy and string data.  This is actually a much more
> > reasonably restriction than just a file name.  Two possibilities:
>
> > 1) The application creates a new name for the specific object (facet) it
> >    wants to bind, and passes a string to that.
>
> And latter
>
> > In my model, the shell would use something like ~/.shell/cache/... to
> > create
> its "private" name space.
>
> So what  happen if i tape "cd foo.tar.gz" ?
> Does the system refuse the command ?
> Does it binds a directory "~/.shell/cache/foo/" and put me in ?

The "shell" I meant was a graphical shell, like a file browser.

In this case, the command would probably typed into a different shell.
In this case, the cd command would fail.

> > 2) If no new name shall be created, the application can pass two
> >    strings: name + desired facet.  Then the receiving application can
> >    use the poly class members to get the desired facet of the object
> >    accessed using the name
> But the entire path to the object can contain branching facets.
> So what string will be pass by my application for the file
> "foo.zip/goo.tar.gz/setup.exe" ?

Right, in this case you would need to pass the facet type for each
intermediate object, if you wanted to carry through with this way to
do it.