Re: HURDNG : Which type of OS design could we have to thinknowadays ?

From: Nigel Williams
Subject: Re: HURDNG : Which type of OS design could we have to thinknowadays ?
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 10:43:52 -0600

"Neal H. Walfield" <address@hidden> wrote in message
news:address@hidden
> On the other hand, you completely devalue legacy support.  I think
> this is the hardest problem and central to the adoption of new
> systems.

With hurdNg and coyotos I would gladly see legacy support de-valued (even
jettisoned), I feel it is over-rated. I would rather see the useful legacy
tools re-implemented for a new OS which offered new environments (as
happened with UNIX and Macintosh, neither provided legacy support in the
initial implementations). Attempting to maintain legacy support almost
de-railed Windows Vista. Legacy support via virtualization (and data
exchange via open-formats) seems a less exhausting approach.

> In short, I think you need to define some goals, consider their
> implications (in particular, what things are less important) and then
> think about how these new techniques that you've pointed to will
> facilitate those goals.

A goal to support widespread adoption (at least within a niche) I would like
to see fulfilled, once hurd.L4 or coyotos can host services, is for a
scalable web-server implementation which offered an application environment
comparable (preferably better) to ASP or PHP. A verifiably secure web-server
would quickly supplant IIS and Apache and permit people to return to sharing
their digital artifacts with a credible degree of confidence.

nigwil